This project fosters the energy transition in the Mediterranean, by contributing to improved security of energy supply, enhanced climate change mitigation actions and the promotion of renewable energy sources and energy efficiency at regional and country levels.
Covered countries: Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Mauritania, Palestine, Tunisia.
OBJECTIVE 1: Enhancing the share of renewable energy sources (RES) and energy efficiency (EE) in the energy mix of the countries of the whole Mediterranean region
OBJECTIVE 2: Support to the UfM Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Platform (REEE) by contributing to the relevant topics aimed at the realisation of the energy Transition in the Mediterranean region.
Actions in brief
- Create a regional network of experts of the Mediterranean countries to support the implementation of EE and RES policies and strategies
- Upgrade relevant existing monitoring tools on energy and climate related policies and measures, and develop a database on existing measures to implement regulation on RES and EE.
- Develop transnational technical and vocational training packages on energy topics
- Identify and assess the existing quality infrastructures for defined EE and RES equipment and services, in order to pave the way for a regional quality market.
- Map selected countries’ investment climate and market structures in order to mitigate investment risks for pre-defined RES and EE technologies.
- Map EE and RES market potential areas with higher impact on local economy and job creation for representative countries.
- Assess appliances’ share of total energy consumption in the countries, with a special focus on air conditioning appliances
- Support the creation of EE and RES components’ industrial associations to serve local EE and RES markets, with a special focus on air conditioning appliances
- Provide tools to measure the impact of investments in EE and RE projects on local economic growth and job creation, and identify appropriate industrial policy measures to maximise this impact.
- Support the Euro-Mediterranean High Level Policy Dialogue Fostering Climate Change Mitigation Measures for the Deployment of Renewable Energy.