The EU has recently adopted the Action Plan on Human Rights and Democracy 2020-2024, that sets out the EU’s priorities and objectives which will guide our work in advancing human rights and democracy, including in the Middle East and North Africa.
Building on the achievements of the previous Action Plans, the new Action Plan identifies the priorities and key actions for these five years and commits to ensure that the EU plays a greater role in promoting and defending human rights and democracy throughout its external action. The Action Plan has five lines of action:
- Protecting and empowering individuals;
- Building resilient, inclusive and democratic societies;
- Promoting a global system for Human Rights and Democracy;
- Harnessing opportunities and addressing challenges posed by the use of new technologies;
- Delivering by working together.
In light of the EU’s commitment to work hand in hand with partners and civil society all around the world, an online discussion on the implementation of the EU Action Plan in the Middle East and North Africa will take place on Monday 14 June.
For more information: