The EU NEIGHBOURS east project, in collaboration with ACT LLC, carries out opinion polls in the six EU's Eastern Partner countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Republic of Moldova and Ukraine) on an annual basis.
According to the 2019 survey:
- 46% of Azerbaijani citizens have a positive image of the European Union (EU) - an increase of 7% when compared to 2018. Only 8% of the population are negative about the EU.
- 28% of Azerbaijanis are aware of the EU’s financial support to the country, 70% of whom felt it was effective.
- 74% of Azerbaijanis feel relations with the European Union are good, up 9% when compared to 2018.
- 75% of Azerbaijani citizens associate the EU with their personal values, such as: ‘peace, security and stability’; ‘honesty and transparency’; ‘economic prosperity’; ‘freedom of speech’; ‘human rights’; ‘rule of law’ and others.
The purpose of the annual surveys is to investigate and understand better the opinion and the level of awareness that the citizens of the EU's Eastern partner countries have about the European Union and the EU cooperation with their country. They cover the following broad topics:
- General perceptions about the EU
- Values associated with the EU
- Assessment of EU relations with the home country
- Awareness of financial support provided by the EU and assessment of its effectiveness
- Sources of information
- Country evaluation and future expectations
To find out the results of Opinion Survey 2019: Regional Overview, please go here.
To find out more about EU-Azerbaijan cooperation, please go here.