The project helps Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, and Ukraine bring their legislation closer to EU policy in the field of water management, with a main focus on the management of trans-boundary river basins. It supports the development and implementation of pilot river basin management plans, building on the improved policy framework and ensuring a strong participation of local stakeholders.
The main objective of the project is to improve the management of water resources, in particular trans-boundary rivers, developing tools to improve the quality of water in the long term, and its availability for all.
More specifically, the project aims to support partner countries in bringing their national policies and strategies into line with the EU Water Framework Directive and other multilateral environmental agreements.
Actions in brief
The initiative focuses on specific thematic areas:
- Legislation, policy development and institutional strengthening, including:
- Organisation of regular National Policy Dialogues
- Preparation of analytical work to support policy reforms and implementation of river basins management plans.
- Preparation of country and regional training plan and organisation of trainings, coaching and training of trainers
- Technical support for drafting and reviewing policies and strategies
- Strengthening of laboratory and monitoring systems, including rehabilitation of laboratories and equipment, purchase of equipment, and technical support
- Development and implementation of River Basin Management Plans, including:
- Organisation of joint field surveys in trans-boundary rivers
- Development and strengthening of national databases on water related issues
- Support to river basin management institutions in the implementation of management plans
- Establishing a system for regular monitoring of the implementation of management plans.
- Public awareness, communication, and data/information management
The project builds on the results of previous EU-funded regional projects in the field of water, in particular: Support to the EU Water Initiative (EUWI) in Eastern Europe, the Caucasus and Central Asia (2012-2016) and the Environmental Protection of International River Basins (EPIRB) (2012-2016).Print pdf