The EU Initiative on Health Security aims to set up a regional competent workforce for the prevention and control of challenges posed by transferable diseases and to enhance regional cooperation to tackle cross-border health security threats.
The first part of the programme is the continuation and further development of the existing EU-funded MediPIET (Mediterranean Programme for Intervention Epidemiology Training). The second part will work on preparedness and response capacity of the partner countries.
Countries covered: Southern Neighbourhood (Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine and Tunisia), Eastern Neighbourhood (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, and Ukraine) and EU Enlargement countries (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia and Turkey)
- To contribute to health security by protecting EU neighbours’ citizens against cross-border health threats posed by communicable diseases.
- Strengthen partner countries’ skills and institutional mechanisms to respond to health threats
- Support cross-border cooperation between the EU and partner countries on health security threats of common interest through exchange of information, best practices and lessons learnt.
Actions in brief
- Continuation and further development of MediPIET as Field Epidemiology Training Programme (FETP);
- Stronger countries’ systems and capacities necessary to effectively assess, detect, respond and prevent threats from communicable diseases;
- Progressive integration of the partner countries in the work of ECDC;
- Enhanced regional cooperation in the field of preparedness, response and emergency operations
The activities are organised around different work packages.
Workforce oriented capability building:
- Analysis of training resources and needs;
- Training of two successive cohorts of fellows to support field epidemiology capacity in the countries;
- Strengthen the MediPIET network, by promoting ownership and maintaining quality of training;
- Digitalise the MediPIET training modules through utilization of existing ECDC online platforms;
- Increase sustainability by creating training cascade effect in the partner countries.
Epidemic intelligence, risk assessment, preparedness and response:
- Conduct assessments of partner country capacities following procedures and methodologies of ECDC;
- Strengthen Epidemic Intelligence in partner countries;
- Empower partner country experts to perform comprehensive Risk Assessment;
- Raise the level of preparedness and coherence of response to Public Health Emergencies.
Integration into ECDC systems, knowledge sharing and networking:
- Integrate partner countries into ECDC systems and tools;
- Provide observers’ status for annual ECDC meetings of NFPs for public health functions;
- Share knowledge on topics related to Public Health.Print pdf